With another NFL season starting it is time once again to play Fantasy Football. For the past ten years, I have participated in many leagues and like to think that I have a pretty good idea on how to play. This year, like many years I probably won’t have the best team in the league. As I have proved many times that doesn’t mean that I can’t win it all.
As I was preparing for this years draft, it dawned on me that a lot of the concepts that help to make me successful in my battle of the stats also apply to a successful marriage. Not every part, although I would love it if ESPN had a stat page to tell me how I am doing with my wife, especially if it updated me in real-time. Here are five things that you can learn from Fantasy Football to make your marriage as successful as possible.
5. Pre Draft preparation can make all the difference
– Before you draft you need to prepare, figure out who to draft and make a plan. Getting married is no different you have to be prepared. I am not talking about wedding planning. I am talking about life planning. Talk things out. Never assume you and your potential spouse are on the same page. From the obvious, Where do you want to live? How many kids do you both want? Do you want kids? To the less obvious. Who’s career do you follow? How much debt do you each have? How do you plan to handle your finances after me becomes we?
4. Sometimes a Trade may be the secret to success.
– During the season there may be an opportunity to trade some of your players to improve your team. Remember to get something you must give something up. – In real life it is the same thing. Sometimes to improve your life you may have to give something up. That may mean less time with your friends or not buying that new pair of sunglasses you want. But remember those small sacrifices can pay off huge later in your marriage.
3. Pay attention during the season
– The draft is done but if you want to win you need to stay involved. You need to address your roster and make sure you always have the best guys possible starting so you have your best chance to win. Marriage is the same. Things will change in your life. Your wife (or husband) may get a new job. You may have to deal with new bills, or a move. Stay involved. No part of the marriage is only one person’s responsibility.
2. Mid season player additions can improve your roster.
– Down the road you may want to add some players to your team. In marriage that means kids. They can add so much to your life (I mean more than stress and poop). I love my wife, and I was happy when it was just the two of us. Now that we have the girls it makes our family feel complete.
1. Know how you can win
– In Fantasy football you get points for how real NFL players perform. How those points are calculated are different for every league. The right combination can win your league. Your marriage is like this. Know how to win. If you know what is important to your partner and what makes them happy, and you know what is important to you and what makes you happy you can win in your marriage.